Thursday, October 27, 2011

pumpkin seeds

  • Question:-Pumpkin seeds?
    We just carved our BIG pumpkin and did the face, put a candle and put it on the front porch.
    Now I want to do something with the seeds.
    They are all tangled in pumpkin goo.
    What is a good way to un-tangle them? Some home remedies? I was thinking of washing them and straining them but Im having second thoughts on that.
    Links and tips would help!
    Im going to toast the seeds with olive oil and salt.
    Any other things I can put over them and toast them?
    Thanks!

    Answer:-You pretty much have to strip off the entrails by hand. Then, spread the seeds on a baking sheet and bake them in the oven.
  • Question:-Pumpkin Seeds?
    My kids and I are gonna gutt our pumpkins this weekend and roast the seeds..my question is what's the best way to get the pumpkin stuff off the seeds? What seasonings do you use for your pumpkin seeds?

    Answer:-Spiced Pumpkin Seeds

    "These pumpkin seeds make a great tasting and healthy snack."
    Original recipe yield: 2 cups

    INGREDIENTS
    1 1/2 tablespoons margarine, melted
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
    2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    2 cups raw whole pumpkin seeds

    DIRECTIONS
    Preheat oven to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C).
    Combine the margarine, salt, garlic salt, Worcestershire sauce and pumpkin seeds. Mix thoroughly and place in shallow baking dish. Bake for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
  • Question:-pumpkin seeds?
    anyone know some ways to make kick-butt pumpkin seeds @ home? looking for ways to make 'em kind of crispy &/or buttery. lil bit salty is good, but i don't care for the kind you're able to buy (like david brand - WAY too salty and chewy.)
    ...thanks in advance

    Answer:-EDIT: I ACTUALLY DID THIS RECIPE AGAIN TONIGHT AND I AM MUNCHING ON THE SEEDS NOW!! mmmm

    The trick to absolutely perfect pumpkin seeds is to boil the seeds in salted water first, and then toast them in the oven.

    HERE IS THE RECIPE:

    One medium sized pumpkin
    Salt
    Olive oil

    1 Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut open the pumpkin and use a strong metal spoon to scoop out the insides. Separate the seeds from the stringy core. Rinse the seeds.

    2 In a small saucepan, add the seeds to water, about 2 cups of water to every half cup of seeds. Add a tablespoon of salt for every cup of water (less to taste). Bring to a boil. Let simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and drain.

    3 Spread about a tablespoon of olive oil over the bottom of a roasting pan. Spread the seeds out over the roasting pan, all in one layer. Bake on the top rack for 20 minutes or until the seeds begin to brown. When browned to your satisfaction, remove from the oven and let the pan cool on a rack. Let the seeds cool all the way down before eating. Either crack to remove the inner seed (a lot of work and in my opinion, unnecessary) or eat whole, which is delicious.
  • Question:-How do you pick the right Pumpkin for Pumpkin seeds?
    Last night I picked up a pumpkin for Walmart for the sole purpose of making roasted pumpkin seeds. I opened the pumpkin up, went scoopin, and all the seeds were small and shriveled up! I've never seen such a thing. So my question is, what should I look for in a pumpkin when trying to find the best seeds.

    Thanks!

    Answer:-Hmm, I don't know if you can tell. i got quite a few seeds out of a pie pumpkin. But I just wanted to make pies.
  • Question:-How do I prepare pumpkin seeds for planting next year?
    I carved a pumpkin and have seeds. I would like to plan them next year. I want to make the biggest pumpkin you have ever seen so that I can bring it to the pumpkin dance.

    Answer:-clean them as best as you can, they don't have to be spotless and shine! dry on an old towel (or on paper towel-wastes money and trees...) and after dry and stuck to the towel, loosen them off and BE SURE they are truly dry. let them sit an extra week! DO NOT heat them to dry or alow oil, grease, butter etc to touch them, it will kill them. keep them in a paper envelope until planting, stored in a dry area. GOOD LUCK!!
  • Question:-How much pumpkin seeds to I eat befoe I sleep to produce enough melatonin?
    I didn't buy zenbev, a product brand made of grinded pumpkin seeds to produce tryptofan (which produces serotonin and melatonin at night), so I bought a bag of pumpkin seeds.
    Would it help as much and how much should I take?

    Answer:-You'd be better off eating the same weight of meat. There isn't a large amount of Tryptophan in Pumpkin seeds (and even less if they are roasted or heat treated in any way).

    If you wanted to stick with a specific amount of Tryptophan, though, you could just take a capsule of pure L-Tryptophan... or 5-HTP works very similarly in your body (since your body makes 5-HTP when you ingest Tryptophan). Both of those support the production of Serotonin in your body similarly to how Melatonin does.
  • Question:-How are we supposed to eat pumpkin seeds?
    I have been eating the whole baked seed at once, but the shell is very fiberous and it's almost like chewing on wood for 2 minutes until it's wet enough to swallow. I know it doesn't hurt me as I've been eating pumpkin seeds like this for years. But are they supposed to be eaten more like sunflower seeds where you break the shell open, eat the seed inside, then spit out the shell? Is there much nutrition in the shell does anyone know?

    Answer:-i kind of crack the shell with my teeth, but i do eat the whole thing. don't eat too many though or else you'll get a belly ache. plus the sodium is ridiculous if you buy them from the store!
  • Question:-Are pumpkin seeds supposed to smell like feet?
    I was about to bake pumpkin seeds, but they smell like stinky feet. We left them overnight in a bowl under plastic wrap because it was late when we finished carving pumpkins, and now I pulled the plastic wrap off to be overwhelmed by this odor. Is that right? Or did they go bad?

    Answer:-No, they should not smell like feet - stinky or otherwise - unfortunately, they went bad.
  • Question:-What is a good time of year to plant pumpkin seeds for a pumpkin patch?
    I have white pumpkin seeds, and orange pumpkin seeds. I'm planning on creating a pumpkin patch, and I don't know what time of year I should plant them. Also, should I let the seeds dry out before planting them? Thank you!

    Answer:-Planting depends on where you live. Spring up north and as late as early Summer down south. Seeds should be washed and thoroughly dried to avoid rot.
  • Question:-Are the pumpkin seeds in my fridge still good?
    My sister dropped off the seeds she got out of her pumpkin about a week ago (Nov. 1st, I think) in a plastic baggy. They are mostly separated from the pumpkin goop, and she had rinsed them before they went into the plastic bag, so there's just a tiny bit of water in the bag. They've been in the fridge this whole time, can I still bake them?

    Answer:-I believe that they will still be good. Pumpkin usually will last for about 2 weeks or so. Open up the bag and check them. Are they really slimy and slippery then normal? Do they have a odd odor to them? If no then go ahead and clean them and bake them. Of course once you bake them they will be good for awhile as long as they are in an air tight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment