Sunday, October 30, 2011

malawi

  • Question:-I am going to Malawi, Africa to do independent volunteer work. How can I access cheap or free airfare?
    I have worked in Malawi in the summer of 2004 and 2005 as a volunteer teacher with the Canadin Teachers Federation, Project Overseas. I stayed in Malawi for an additional 4.5 months in 2005 doing research on HIV/AIDS, death and bereavement. This lead me to work with an AIDS support group and also to establish an orphan care group. I am returning to work with these groups at the end of June, but have not been able to find any financial assistance to help me with travel expenses. My airline tickets are booked on my Visa Card. Surely there is an organization or someone who can help me offset the expense of travel. Please help.

    Answer:-~~~~~~~~www.orbit.com~~~~~~~~~
  • Question:-How many lake malawi cichlids can i keep in a 55 gallon?
    I plan on getting a 55 gallon and am going for the lake malawi theme. How many cichlids can i get?

    Answer:-Depends on the type of cichlid and how aggressive they are. Also depends on the filtration. A lot of times it's recommended that you slightly overstock a cichlid tank so that they can't attempt to form territories.

    In my 55 gallon tank with 545gph filtration and pristine conditions I have 12 Kenyi cichlids. I have 2 males and 10 females (Or they look female for now. Will reevaluate when they get older). Kenyi's get 6 inches are aggressive and do well with slight overstocking.

    A list of fish you're looking at would be good.

    Here's some good ideas. http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/cookie_cutter_55g.php
  • Question:-What would you do with a 75 gal to create an amazing lake malawi tank.?
    What would you do with a 75 gal to create an amazing lake malawi tank.
    What fish are relatively easy to obtain and would go well together? How would you decorate the tank? I am new to cichlids and I think malawi's are very colorful. I just don't know which ones or how many to get. Can you help me out?

    Answer:-I actually have a 75 gallon Malawi tank! If I had the money I would spend it on Texas Holey Rock... it looks absolutely beautiful especially with the fish colors.
    I have an all male tank, keeps the aggression down since there aren't any females to fight over. And one male per species I wouldn't put two greshakei males together...
    I wouldn't add any plants because they cichlids will munch on those, even though there are a couple they won't eat, it's not gauranteed and they will eventually uproot them and redecorate the tank for you.
    I love the yellow labs, they give you that punch of color you want in a tank. I also have some OB Peacock and a red peacock! I am planning on buying a Pseudotropheus Polit, and a Haplochromis Burtoni. I also have a Greshakei and an Azureus. OH my goodness I almost forgot about my Acei, great color too! The more color the better in my opinion and you will get that with an all male tank.
    I would suggest trying to buy some cichlids either online or at a lfs, I would stay away from Petco they don't have a good selection. Petsmart isn't bad...
    Do not buy from any tank that is listed mixed or assorted africans... they are hybrids....
    I would put about 20 in a 75 gallon, overstocking helps keep the aggression down too.
    Message me if you want any help!
  • Question:-What kind of light is good for malawi cichlids?
    I have had a malawi cichlid tank for about 5 months, but I still don't have a light for it. I have finally saved up to purchase a light, but don't know what kind to get. What kind of light is good for acei cichlids and yellow lab cichlids?

    thanks.

    Answer:-Tube lights are fine but LED lights are cheaper to run and the "bulbs" last almost forever.

    The Marineland Double Bright LED Light Fixture would be a perfect spectrum for African cichlids, and make the yellow labs and the acei "pop"!
  • Question:-Help with my freshwater malawi cichlid tank? How do I get the fish to come out?
    I have a 60 gallon malawi cichlid tank. There are 5 yellow labs and 6 acei cichlids. Each is between 2-4 inches long. They always stay at the bottom of the tank and hid in the rocks. The only time they come out is when it is feeding time. How do I get them to come out more often and to come to higher levels?

    I could take out the rocks, but these are aggressive fish and I don't want them to kill each other.

    thank you.

    Answer:-Do not take out the rocks... this is their home. Taking it out will make them nervous and susceptible to diseases from the stress. Instead... do the opposite. Add more hiding places and things for them to be interested and hide in. If they have more hiding places it may make them bolder since they have more places to retreat to. Also... if they're new they will hide for a while. If there's a lot of aggression from the fish they will hide.
  • Question:-How much does it cost to rent office space for 30 people in malawi or South Africa for a month?
    I need to know the cost of office space for 30 people in Malawi. If no one know how much it costs in Malawi South Africa would be fine. The office should be first rate, for a very well know international organization.

    Answer:-20000
  • Question:-How should I stock my malawi cichlid tank?
    a 55 gallon. i don't like the mottled and dark colors in south american species, so i'm set on malawi. i like blues and yellows, so i was thinking kenyi, and some sort of catfish. suggest whatever species you like.

    Answer:-Hi, All Things Fishy Sydney here.
    I have the same size tank with at least 20 Malawi cichlids. I've got Lombardi's 2 x females, 1 male, a pair of electric yellows, 2 x Pseudotropheus elongatus, Melanochromis "Maingano", Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei" (Msuli) & many beautiful orange blotched peacocks. Your going to love the color of these! My favorite of all is my Sailfin Plecostomus (Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps), he's at least 15cm now & keeps the tank clean for me. They all get on wonderfully together.
    Have fun choosing, just remember to add slowly over the first 4-5 weeks.
  • Question:-Is it true that girls can not wear shorts in Malawi?
    I am travelling to Malawi in less than 2 on a charity trip and have been told I can't wear 'short shorts' as they will show my thighs and this is not allowed or respectable in Malawi for girls. Is this true?
    I want to respect their culture if it is customary not to show thighs.

    Answer:-be a rebel
  • Question:-sand as a substrate for my malawi cichlids?
    i just recently removed the gravel in my tank and put sand in for the substrate. is this good for the cichlids? ive been looking at pictures from lake malawi and noticed that it is a sand bottum with lots of rocks. did i do a good thing or should i change it?

    Answer:-Yes it is absolutely fine.
    Sand is their natural substrate.
    If you want to put some rocks in, choose some pebbles. From a lake, or even from your backyard.
  • Question:-What Fruit or Vegtables are grown in Malawi?
    I'm looking to find the most common produce from malawi. I'm mainly looking at anything that can be grown within the United Kingdom.
    Thanks.

    Answer:-Other than for home consumption, most of the households on the islands grow fruits and vegetables to generate income to meet other daily needs.The little that I generate from selling fruits enables me buy fish, maize, bread and soap," says 76 year-old John Themba of Mbungo Village in Likoma, who opted to specialize in growing fruits for sale. He is very proud of the jam he makes from his tomatoes.
    In addition to a local market, most of the households sell their produce to the secondary school, hospital, and lodges on the island. Those who produce high value crops such as chilly peppers and beetroot also take them to mainland Malawi.

    "The Likoma experience is a microcosm of what needs to happen all over Malawi," says Timothy Gilbo, the World Bank’s Country Manager for Malawi. "There is need to transfer knowledge to people and encourage them to do things differently. Specializing in a high-value crop at household level and trading it, is a good path out of poverty."
    According to Gilbo, progress on the island shows that a little money with the right thinking and willingness to change can achieve a lot.
    Households compete for progress The Lake Malawi Project has reached out to the islanders with about $5000 from the World Bank’s Civil Society Fund (CSF) from 2006-2008. The CSF supports innovative ideas that empower poor and marginalized groups to take charge of development processes.

    In addition to the funding, LMPM has also introduced trophy competitions for summer and winter cropping. Households register their gardens for the competition which assesses how households are managing their gardens based on the skills and knowledge gained from demonstration sessions. By July 2008, 256 households had registered for the 2008 winter competition.
    The Lake Malawi Project has reached out to the islanders with about $5000 from the World Bank’s Civil Society Fund (CSF) from 2006-2008. The CSF supports innovative ideas that empower poor and marginalized groups to take charge of development processes.

    In addition to the funding, LMPM has also introduced trophy competitions for summer and winter cropping. Households register their gardens for the competition which assesses how households are managing their gardens based on the skills and knowledge gained from demonstration sessions. By July 2008, 256 households had registered for the 2008 winter competition.

    The Lake Malawi Project has reached out to the islanders with about $5000 from the World Bank’s Civil Society Fund (CSF) from 2006-2008. The CSF supports innovative ideas that empower poor and marginalized groups to take charge of development processes.

    In addition to the funding, LMPM has also introduced trophy competitions for summer and winter cropping. Households register their gardens for the competition which assesses how households are managing their gardens based on the skills and knowledge gained from demonstration sessions. By July 2008, 256 households had registered for the 2008 winter competition.
    The Lake Malawi Project has reached out to the islanders with about $5000 from the World Bank’s Civil Society Fund (CSF) from 2006-2008. The CSF supports innovative ideas that empower poor and marginalized groups to take charge of development processes.

    In addition to the funding, LMPM has also introduced trophy competitions for summer and winter cropping. Households register their gardens for the competition which assesses how households are managing their gardens based on the skills and knowledge gained from demonstration sessions. By July 2008, 256 households had registered for the 2008 winter competition.The Lake Malawi Project has reached out to the islanders with about $5000 from the World Bank’s Civil Society Fund (CSF) from 2006-2008. The CSF supports innovative ideas that empower poor and marginalized groups to take charge of development processes.

    In addition to the funding, LMPM has also introduced trophy competitions for summer and winter cropping. Households register their gardens for the competition which assesses how households are managing their gardens based on the skills and knowledge gained from demonstration sessions. By July 2008, 256 households had registered for the 2008 winter competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment