Thursday, October 27, 2011

fiddler on the roof

  • Question:-Where can I find Fiddler on the Roof music online?
    I have recently been chosen to be the first violin in the orchestra pit for Fiddler on the Roof. I have not received any music yet and would really like to get a head start. Where can I find the sheet music online (free), just for that first solo at the beginning of the play?

    Answer:-Since 'Fiddler on the Roor' is a copyrighted work, you probably won't find any part of the score free. And even if you do, there's no guarantee that what you will get will bear any resemblence to the score that you will be using for your production.

    Your best be is to nag your music director until he or she makes the score avaialble to you.
  • Question:-What are some good monologues for fiddler on the roof audition?
    My high school is doing fiddler on the roof and I want to audition for Golde. It needs to be one minute. I also need to have a song. Recently I've been working on Look to the Rainbow from Finians rainbow. Would that be a good song?

    Answer:-Don't do 'Look to the Rainbow". Pick a song that will make you look good for the character you are trying out for. I say this because Sharon (who sings 'Look to the Rainbow') is a soprano role, while Golde is a mezzo. If you want a good mezzo song look for one from Les Miserables, Meet Me in St. Louis, Anything Goes, Annie Get your Gun, Thoroughly Modern Millie or Hello Dolly. All of those have female leads with mezzo parts. Also, don't pick a sweet song for Golde. She isn't sweet at all. Good Luck!
  • Question:-How does the Fiddler in Fiddler on the Roof avoid falling?
    In a stage performance of Fiddler on the Roof, how does the character of The Fiddler assume his position on the stage roof (then play or mime, concentrating on his performance) without actually endangering himself?

    Answer:-Last time I did that show, the fiddler climbed up a stairway built into the back of the set and sat or stood on a platform just behind the "roof" of a house at the back of the stage.
  • Question:-Is fiddler on the roof as good as Singing in the Rain?
    I love good, clean Broadway musicals. How good is the movie Fiddler on the Roof?

    Answer:-It's good. It's a little slower, and the style is far more...traditional. I prefer Singing in the Rain for its upbeat style. But both are very clean and appropriate.
  • Question:-What should i audition with for fiddler on the roof?
    I am a sophmore this year and my school will be putting on Fiddler On The Roof.

    I was an extra/chorus member in every play last year, the principals were mostly seniors and we dont have many juniors from last year so I feel I have a larger chance than last year. Although I'm a little new to singing I'm confident in myself.


    I have a lower vocal range. Any suggestions? I have to audition with a song from a different musical.

    Answer:-Anything from that era of musicals. Carousel, Sound of Music, King & I, State Fair, South Pacific, Etc...

    Most of those classic musicals have at least one song in them that will closely resemble the song sung by the character you want to be cast for. Know what role you want and find the relating song in the other show and sing that. Also, don't fret if someone else ends up singing the same song. Just take note not to sing it in the exact same way with the same gestures and inflections as they did. Sing it in the way you practiced it.

    It's typical for several actors to sing the same song when auditioning for a classic musical. It just happens. What you don't want to do, is sing something from Phantom because it is way out of your age range and isn't appropriate for Fiddler or to sing something from a newer show like Hairspray because it is a completely different style.
  • Question:-What vocal part does Chava have in Fiddler on the Roof?
    I am planning on trying out for chava in a production of fiddler on the roof, and i was wondering what vocoal part does she have. I am a second soprano so does that mean my voice is to high for that part?

    Answer:-Chava is actually considered a mezzo soprano by most, I think. (Which is pretty much a second soprano.) She sings in Matchmaker, so you can download that to see if you can sing it. She also needs to be an adequate dancer, if that matters.

    Break a leg!
  • Question:-How many scenes is the chorus in in Fiddler on the Roof?
    I got a spot in the chorus of Fiddler on the Roof, and i want to know how many scenes/songs the chorus is in total.
    I got a spot in the chorus of Fiddler on the Roof, and i want to know how many scenes/songs the chorus is in total.


    *Not the movie, the play.
    I got a spot in the chorus of Fiddler on the Roof, and i want to know how many scenes/songs the chorus is in total.
    *Not the movie, the play.

    Answer:-they are in almost every scene, and 6 songs.
  • Question:-Where can I find the Reed 2 (clarinet) orchestra part for Fiddler on The Roof?
    I would really like the orchestra part, not some solo book to Fiddler on the Roof. Where are we able to purchase just the clarinet or reed 2 orchestration.

    Answer:-You're going to have to contact the licensing agency that handles the show. That would be one of the following: Dramtists' Play Service, Samuel French, or Rodgers and Hammerstein. Google, and then figure out the purchase price (it might come expensively).

    Another possibility: if you live near where a full-orchestra production of Fiddler was done in recent memory, the producing company might have retained the parts. Call them and see if you can photocopy (which would be fair use if you're doing it for personal study).
  • Question:-What is the girl lead for fiddler on the roof?
    My church might put on a production of fiddler on the roof and I was wondering if there is a girl lead? If there is, what is the character's name? And does she have a solo song?

    Answer:-There are two large roles for adult females and three large roles for young women in Fiddler On the Roof.
    The largest of the adult roles is Golde, Tevye's wife. She is somewhat stern and very no-nonsense. She sings most notably in "Do You Love Me." The other large adult role is Yente, the matchmaker. The only time she really sings is in a song called "Topsy Turvy." Yente is very much a "character."

    The three roles for young women are three sisters, Tzeitel, Hodel, and Chava. The three share the song "Matchmaker," which also features their two younger sisters, Schprintze and Bielke very briefly.
    Tzeitel is the oldest of the sisters. She is in love with Motel, a poor tailor who is her childhood sweetheart. Tzeitel does not sing very much, but it is still a large role.
    Hodel is the second oldest. She falls in love with Perchik, a revolutionary from Kiev. When he goes to Siberia and is arrested Hodel follows him. In addition to her part in "Matchmaker" she sings "Far From The Home I Love." Her character and love story are the most developed of the three featured sisters.
    Chava is the next youngest. She sings in "Matchmaker." Chava falls in love with a Gentile named Fyedka and they eventually elope, which causes Tevye, her father, to disown her outwardly, although inwardly he still loves her deeply.
  • Question:-What should I sing for my Fiddler on the Roof audition?
    My high school is doing Fiddler on the Roof this year. I'm a mezzo, so my range isn't very limited. But I'd like to audition for Chava, so is there any particularly good song I should sing? It doesn't have to be from the show, anything along similar lines would be good.

    My audition isn't until December, so I have plenty of time to prepare. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

    Answer:-Assuming they don't want you to sing from the show:

    Someone Else's Story - Chess
    Hold On - The Secret Garden
    Send In The Clowns - A Little Night Music
    Home - Beauty And The Beast
    No One Knows Who I Am - Jekyll and Hyde

    Hope this helps! Break a leg at your audition!

No comments:

Post a Comment