Thursday, October 20, 2011

lumpectomy

  • Question:-Lumpectomy?
    My girlfriend and I recently had a baby. She's exercising, loosing weight, and looks like a completely different person. She's looking great. But from her pass pregnancy she wasn't able to breastfeed because of complications with the child. So her milk ducts swelled up.Now she has small zagging bags underneath her armpits. We want to get rid of them. Someone told us what she needs done is a lumpectomy. Is this correct? Which is the correct procedure and how much is it? Wherein Chicago,IL can it be done the cheapest?

    Answer:-Lumpectomy is the most common form of breast cancer surgery today. The surgeon removes only the part of your breast containing the tumor (the "lump") and some of the normal tissue that surrounds it.

    http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/surgery/lumpectomy/

    ...as opposed to a mastectomy where they remove the entire breast.
    Cost will depend on the Dr....it is a cosmetic procedure
  • Question:-How soon after a lumpectomy does chemotherapy start?
    How soon after a lumpectomy should or does chemotherapy start?

    Answer:-Most clinical trials start chemotherapy within 42-60 days; some older studies went out as far as 84 days. The importance of using a clinical trial as a standard measure is that the experts are the ones coming up with these criteria.

    I typically start 3-4 weeks, depending on patient status and disease characteristics, but no problem waiting couple more weeks if needed. I personally don't like going beyond 6 weeks.

    God bless, best wishes
  • Question:-How uncomfortable was your first mammogram after your lumpectomy?
    I had a lumpectomy(with sentinal node removal) over 7 months ago. I had to be drained several times at the breast incision site and the node site, during the first few weeks after surgery. I still have fluid and at times, a lot of discomfort at both sites. The thought of being compressed in less than a month is stressing me out.

    Answer:-Don't panic!

    I have done hundreds of mammograms soon after surgery. We know you are in pain (but remind us, OK?). We will only compress enough to stop motion and (in the case of the side pic) to hold the breast up.

    Most of my post op patients say it isn't as bad as they thought it would be.

    Good Luck! :)
  • Question:-I am having lumpectomy surgery and need advice?
    I am having lumpectomy surgery on thursday and would like to hear tips, thoughts, or advice from those who have had this before or are familiar with the proceedures. Anything would help. Thanks.

    Answer:- I have been thru a bunch of breast issues. First of all I recommend for you to take an ativan before the procedure. I took 2 before I went in and I wasn't so scared. You will be fine !! They have come a long way with breast cancer and all the procedures. Early detection is the key. It saved my life. If they want to do anything drastic ,then get a 2nd opinion. Good luck to you...
  • Question:-What is the normal recovery time for a lumpectomy?
    I'm having a lumpectomy done tomorrow on my left boob. My question is, how long should I expect to be down? I have 4 young boys to take care of and am wondering how long I'll need help. Any insight on your personal recovery time and issues would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and Have a Great Day!

    Answer:-I had a lumpectomy about three years ago. Afterwards my surgeon asked that I wait a week to drive and return to work (after having stitches removed), and a month or so before doing any lifting. I remember having a great deal of sensitivity in the area (still do at times) but never a lot of pain. I don't recall even taking pain meds, just over the counter stuff. My husband stayed with me a day or two because I have a harder than normal time recovering from anesthesia. If not for that I would have been fine staying alone the day after surgery.
  • Question:-If given the choice of biopsy or lumpectomy, which one would you choose?
    I am 26. My doctor wants to do a lumpectomy. Mainly because my mom passed from breast cancer.
    I already had an ultrasound done.

    Answer:-I would choose a core biopsy for myself before a more invasive surgery (lumpectomy). If it is cancerous, there's plenty of time to go back in, either before or after chemo.

    But the odds of any lump being cancer are low.
  • Question:-what does a call to go back to the surgeon mean after a lumpectomy?
    My mom was just diagnosed with breast cancer. She had a lumpectomy and a lymph node drained on Monday. The said they will have results in 5 days. They called her today wanting to see her. She is so bummed, do you think they will make her wait that long for results?
    Well when we get a pap smear, they call us to say its normal. We want to know if there is more cancer

    Answer:-they can't tell her anything over the phone, due to laws regarding patient privacy... she needs to go see the doctor.
  • Question:-Should I get a tattoo on the wrist of my lumpectomy arm?
    I am a 7yr breast cancer survivor. This year for my birthday I want to get a tattoo about the size of a nickel on my wrist of my lumpectomy arm. I know that I need to be careful with this arm and cant even get my blood pressure taken on it. But I really want it there. Is it to big of a risk? What do u'all think??

    Answer:-Clearly, since you have been warned about taking care of that arm, you had lymph node removal and are at risk of lymphoedema.

    You'll have been warned against having injections in that arm and warned to avoid any small injury such as burns, cuts, scratches and sunburn.

    So you're well aware of the risks involved in getting a tattoo. It's your choice, and I'm not going to lecture you on it (well, I'll try not to, but once a schoolteacher...).

    But I can tell you that lymphoedema is a lifetime risk, is currently irreversible (though manageable if it's mild) and - and this one's from experience - is no fun at all.

    I developed lymphoedema over 2 years after breast cancer surgery and axillary node clearance. I don't know what particular injury or risk factor triggered it - I was unaware of whatever it was, which shows how easily it can be triggered. I just looked down one day to see that my affected arm and hand were noticeably larger than the other arm and hand. And so they've remained.

    I've also had cellulitis on my lymphoedema arm, which can occur where the skin has previously been broken - including by needles. It was horrible, really revolting.

    So - while obviously it's your choice, I'd simply urge that you bear the risks in mind.
  • Question:-I had breast cancer,in my left breast, treated with a lumpectomy and radiation and sent home.?
    I was not given Tamoxifin or any preventative drug. 6 months later I got cancer ,a more aggressive cancer in my left breast. My doc acted shocked. I had a lumpectomy, radiation and chemo. Then I was given Femara. Did my doc follow procedures?

    Answer:-Tamoxifen is only given for hormone-positive cancers. So your pathology report probably indicated hormone-receptor negative cancer.

    If so, this is often considered a more aggressive cancer, and recurrence rates are somewhat higher. So it wouldn't be unheard of for you to get a recurrence.

    Do you have a copy of the original pathology report? If not, ask your oncologist for a copy. That would be an important clue.

    It sounds as if Femara is given for hormone positive cancers. So if the current incident is hormone-positive, it is either a) a new cancer, or b) someone messed up on your original pathology or treatment plan.
  • Question:-what is the recovery period for having a lumpectomy?
    How much time have people taken off from work after having a breast lumpectomy?

    Answer:-I lost two days from work...the day I had the lumpectomy and the day after (because I wasn't allowed to drive for 24 hours due to anesthesia).

    This will vary from person to person and surgeon to surgeon though. You will have to ask your surgeon how long he wants you to be off work. My surgeon would have given me more time but I always bounce back very quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment