Wednesday, November 2, 2011

narwhals

  • Question:-Where can I buy a couple of narwhals for my aquarium?
    I got the mega tank. The 60 gallon. I want a couple of narwhals and maybe a coelacanth too.

    Answer:-You must mean those new Teacup Narwhals! SO CUTE! Just check your local newspaper for ads - there will be TONS!

    My Aunt's friend's brother's daughter is a great Coelacanth breeder! She even has rare colors! Do you want her contact information?
  • Question:-What is "Narsave the Narwhals" a reference to?
    I saw this shirt on BustedTees, but I don't get the joke/reference. I know narwhals in general are something of a meme of sorts, but is this referring to something more specific?

    Answer:-Meme:
    An idea that, like a gene, can replicate and evolve.

    A unit of cultural information that represents a basic idea that can be transferred from one individual to another, and subjected to mutation, crossover and adaptation.

    A cultural unit (an idea or value or pattern of behavior) that is passed from one generation to another by non genetic means (as by imitation); “memes are the cultural counterpart of genes.

    I don't know what "meme" has to do with the T-shirt. But the saying is a play on "Save the Whales". Nar-save the Nar-whales.

    Not laughing? Neither am I. yawn.
  • Question:-What are your favorite things about Narwhals?
    I think we are just wonderful, majestic animals what about you!!!? We enjoy playing WII and listening to music!!!!!

    So what are your favorite things about narwhals?
    @KoolKat28, We Narwhals are just that amazing my dear, Narwhals are the best, we are magical.

    Answer:-They're gentle and graceful, and they're the unicorns of the marine world. :)
  • Question:-How can narwhals breathe if their horn is solid?
    If their horn is just an overgrown/modified tooth from thier spout how can they breath if it is solid and covers their blowspout?

    Answer:-The horn doesn't cover the blowhole. The blowhole is on top of the head, whilst the horn (actually a tooth, as you know), protrudes from the front of the face. It doesn't interfere with breathing in any way. See this image, you can clearly see both the blowhole and the horn:
    http://dorkprofilms.com/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/narwhal.gif
  • Question:-how could I do a science experiment on narwhals?
    I need to do a science experiment, as in conducting an experiment, on narwhals. How could I conduct an experiment about a whale?!

    Answer:-OK here is my idea. Narwhal makes have a long twisted tusk, right? I wonder if you could correlate the age of the narwhal with the number of twists - this would take googling a lot of close up narwhal photos and counting spirals. Then seeing if you can find the age of the narwhal in the photo. So this is difficult, but maybe you only need to get lucky three or four times to have some data you can correlate.
  • Question:-Can Narwhals sense dangerous predators with their horn?
    Could it sense its #1 competitor the beluga and either stay clear of it or impale it with its horn if it was really hungry? I know it can use its horn to smell (but not breathe/blow) so it should be able to do this. Once the horn is inserted how could it prevent the blood from entering its lungs?

    Answer:-I think it might actually... :O Interesting
  • Question:-Have scientists found any evidence that Narwhals had their tusks before they evolved into marine mammals?
    All marine mammals evolved from terrestrial mammals, so I was just wondering if the fossilized ancestor of the Narwhal has been discovered and if it had its tusk before it became a marine mammal? If it gained its tusk after it became a marine mammal, then this would indicate that the tusk has something to do with a marine environment, right?
    Alex, go back to church you freakin bonehead.

    Answer:-According to mitogenomic analyses,
    their tusks formed well after their return to the water.

    http://www.cob.lu.se/phylogeny/AxelJanke/papers/40Arnasonetal.pdf

    The most broadly accepted theory for the role of the tusk is as a secondary sexual characteristic, similar to the mane of a lion or the tail feathers of a peacock.
    This hypothesis was notably discussed and defended at length by Charles Darwin,
    in The Descent of Man, and Selection in Relation to Sex (1871).
  • Question:-are narwhals real or just a dumb myth like unicorns?
    I think narwhals are real but my dad doesn't, well, anyone over 20 doesn't! Are they real?

    Answer:-
  • Question:-Are there any narwhals in the great barrier reef?
    I need to know for a project.

    Answer:-The Narwhal is an Arctic whale so no.

    The Great Barrier Reef has about 30 species of whales and dolphins stay or pass through. The most common, which visit from May - August, are Dwarf Minke whales and Humpback whales.
  • Question:-There are people out there who think narwhals are real?
    I found out today that my sister thinks narwhals (a whale with a horn on its head like a unicorn) are real. She was not joking, she thinks they are actual real creatures that really exist. I asked a few other people and found 2 more that think they are real. Is this a common thing, or do I just know a lot of nuts?
    Lol, posting photoshopped pictures from humor websites is not going to trick anyone into believing in narwhals.

    Answer:-yea man there is one in my basement now

No comments:

Post a Comment