Wednesday, November 16, 2011

green bean casserole

  • Question:-Can I bake green bean casserole tonight, stick it in the fridge and nuke it in the microwave tomorrow?
    I was asked to bring the green bean casserole to Thanksgiving dinner at my parents' house tomorrow (the generic recipe w/ green beans, milk, pepper, and cream of mushroom soup), and I really don't want to get up early tomorrow to bake it. Will it be ok if I bake it now, allow it to sit in the fridge overnight and bring it to the family's house to nuke in the microwave tomorrow afternoon? It's either that or bake it in the morning and have to drive an hour with a hot casserole dish, and it will still have to be reheated before dinner tomorrow. Will it be ok to refrigerate it overnight or will it be nasty? Thanks!

    Answer:-no, i think it will be okay. one thing, though - if you put those canned fried onions on top, do that when you get to your parents house and then reheat it in the oven so they stay crispy. the microwave will make them soggy & gross. happy thanksgiving!
  • Question:-How can I make green bean casserole?
    So I moved to the dorm for college, and I really want to cook more of my own food since there is basically just fast food around. I really love green bean casserole, and I know how to make it. The down side is that I don't have a casserole dish. I have several pots and pans of different sizes, and some tupperware. Does anyone know how I could make a casserole without the dish?
    I have access to a microwave, a stove, and an oven.

    Answer:-Go to the grocery store and buy a small square tinfoil pan that is disaposable and bake it in that. You can also microwave everything and then finish the toasted onions in the toaster oven and sprinkle on top.
    Good Luck!
  • Question:-What are the best tasting green beans for green bean casserole?
    When My mom makes green bean casserole her G.B.'s are like hard, tough, dry feeling, and thick. I like to have soft thin juicy green beans in my casserole. Any suggestions anyone?

    Answer:-Use french cut frozen green beans. Canned french cut ones work OK too, but I think the frozen ones have better flavor and more vitamins.

    It also helps if the casserole is kept covered (with a lid, or foil) until the last 10 minutes. Keeping it covered for most of the cooking time prevents the beans from getting too dry!

    And removing the cover at the end allows it to brown properly on top. :)

    -----------------------
    Classic Green Bean Bake (my grandma's recipe!)

    - Prep Time: 7 minutes
    - Cooking Time: 35 minutes
    - 8 servings

    Ingredients
    1 can (14.5 ounces) Butterball Chicken Broth (you can also use turkey broth instead, if you have it handy 'cause you are cooking a turkey).

    1 can (10.5 ounces) Marie Callender's Cream of Mushroom Soup

    1 bag (16 ounces) frozen French cut green beans

    1 can (8 ounces) La Choy Sliced Water Chestnuts, or 8 oz slivered almonds.

    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

    1 bag (6 ounces) Butterball Stuffing

    1/4 cup butter,

    Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 375°F.

    2. In a large bowl, combine Butterball Broth and Marie Callender's Soup; mix until well blended. Add remaining ingredients except Butterball Stuffing and butter; blend well. Pour into a greased 13x9x2-inch baking dish; set aside.

    3. Combine stuffing and butter together until blended; evenly spoon over green bean mixture. Cover, bake, for 25 minutes. Remove cover and bake an additional 10 minutes.
  • Question:-What is so great about Green Bean Casserole?
    I have eaten green breen casserole many times. I neither like it, nor dislike it. I can take it or leave it. Could someone please explain to me what all the fuss over this dish is? People go ga-ga over this stuff. If it turns up at a restaurant buffet, or church potluck dinner, or Thanksgiving, etc, people are all like "OOOOOooo green bean casserole!!!" and flock to it like it is the food of the gods, or something. What is so great about green bean casserole?

    Answer:-I think it has to do with nostalgia and comfort food, like macaroni and cheese and meatloaf. Personally I could do without it. Why spoil a perfectly good green bean with overly salted canned soup?
  • Question:-Green bean casserole: double the servings, double ALL ingredients?
    I'd like to double the green bean casserole recipe on the back of the can of French's fried onions, so that it would serve twice as many people. Should I use twice the amount of EVERY ingredient listed in the recipe? Or would doubling the milk and cream of mushroom soup make the casserole too milky and creamy? And would I still bake it at the same temperature and for the same amount of time as in the original recipe even though I'm doubling the recipe? Thanks in advance for your help!

    Answer:-Speaking from experience, no you do not automatically double all of the ingredients. You are right on track when you question doubling the milk. When I doubled the milk it got too soupy and I ended up tripling it and the not adding more milk. I would recommend you put in about 1 1/2 times the milk originally called for and then see how the consistency is. If it is far too gloppy then add a tablespoon of milk at a time until you like the consistency.

    Also, you would bake for the original amount of time listed at the original temperature.
  • Question:-Why did my French's green bean casserole come out so crunchy?
    Tonight I cooked French's green bean casserole for the first time and it came out raw and crunchy. I cooked it with fresh green beans and according to the recipe. It said I could also use canned green beans, is this a better way? Maybe I should have boiled the fresh green beans first and/or cooked them longer?
    Yeah, I figures I needed to blanche the fresh beans first... I'm just ticked the recipe didn't state that!!!!

    Answer:-You have to cook the beans first. The original recipe calls for canned, but yuck. Frozen work OK but fresh are the best. Just blanch them in boiling salted water until just slightly underdone. Then put them in the casserole with the other ingredients. Should turn out fine.
  • Question:-Do you have a good recipe for green bean casserole?
    My grandma asked me to make green bean casserole for Thanksgiving and any kind I've ever tried I don't like. And it has to be a vegetarian recipe because some people in my family are vegtarians.

    Answer:-Grandma's Green Bean Casserole

    INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
    2 tablespoons butter
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon white sugar
    1/4 cup onion, diced
    1 cup sour cream
    3 (14.5 ounce) cans French style green beans, drained
    2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
    1/2 cup crumbled buttery round crackers
    1 tablespoon butter, melted




    DIRECTIONS
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth, and cook for one minute. Stir in the salt, sugar, onion, and sour cream. Add green beans, and stir to coat.
    Transfer the mixture to a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish. Spread shredded cheese over the top. In a small bowl, toss together cracker crumbs and remaining butter, and sprinkle over the cheese.
    Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the top is golden and cheese is bubbly.

    note...
    This is a great recipe!! u can add more onions, cheese and some garlic and onion powder into the mixture. and more cheese on top.

    hope it helps
  • Question:-Is it okay to store an uncooked green bean casserole in the dish in the fridge overnight then cook it?
    I just wanted to know because i want to make a green bean casserole but have it all mixed and ready to go but want to store it in the fridge until im ready to cook it tomorrow. So will it make the casserole less good? Or is it okay to do that?

    Best and first answer receives 10 pts!

    Answer:-yea, it should be fine, maybe a tad watery, but nothing to fret over and let it ruin your day. I just premade my stuffing and mashed potatoes tonight, but I haven't baked the potatoes or stuffing yet, they need to be in the frige overnight, and then the stuffing will get put in the turkey tomorrow.
  • Question:-I am making a from scratch green bean casserole this year.?
    I am not going to really follow any real recipe, but rather just combine different thigns I like from several.

    What do you do to your green bean casserole to make it special...even if you do the canned method?
    Yes I have looked at Atons ercipe and I thnk that is what I am going to base my recipe off of.

    As far as the nacho soup I want to stay away from that becuase of all the sodium, but thanks for the idea.

    Answer:-Have you checked out Alton Browns Recipe? He even makes his own fried onions.
    Personally, I hate the stuff, but I would give his a try.

    Is it strange that I think Alton Brown is uber sexy LOL
  • Question:-How far ahead can I make a green bean casserole?
    So Im taking a green bean casserole and im going to do a version of the Campbells one but I dont know how soon I should make it...Do I mix everything and cook now or do I take the soup part seperate and put it all together at the peoples house..or can i mix everything and refrigerate and take to cook later?
    Thank you!

    Answer:-I'd assemble the whole thing and refrigerate. Take the French onions with you separately, otherwise they'll get soggy. When you get where you're going, top the casserole and stick in their oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment