Saturday, November 5, 2011

bobolink

  • Question:-how did the bobolink get endangered?
    if you know how it did BLESS YOUR HEAR [:
    && pleaseee give me a link of the website you found the info if you used a website

    thanks so much

    for everyeons information: a bobolink is a endangered bird

    Answer:-My guess, and it is only a guess, is that we have destroyed its habitat by draining and filling marshes and turned productive fields of grass to agricultural crops that pay a greater return. It has been a long time since I've seen a bobolink in the field. Sigh.
  • Question:-What does this poem by Emily Dickinson mean?
    I'll tell you How the Sun Rose.

    I'll tell you how the sun rose, -- A ribbon at a time. The steeples swam in amethyst, The news like squirrels ran. The hill untied their bonnets, The bobolinks begun. Then I said softly to myself, "That must have been the sun!"

    But how he set, I know not. There seemed a purple stile Which little yellow boys and girls Were climbing all the while Till when they reached the other side, A dominie in gray Put gently up the evening bars, -- And led the flock away.


    What does the poem symbolize? I have no idea how to interpret it.

    Answer:-Freud "thought that sometimes, just sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar and not a symbol for a penis."

    "This is a poem without hidden meaning for most readers. Just a clean, bright and fresh approach to a plain old sunrise." [ http://poetrypages.lemon8.nl/nature/illtellyou/illtellyouhow.htm ]

    This is my favorite comment on this poem. I think that if your teacher wants you to analyze "deeper meanings," you should do two things:

    Look at the poem in lines, not in the prose paragraphs you've reduced it to. This kinda slows it down, and lets you look at each image, one at a time, and to hear the rhymes and half rhymes.

    I'll tell you how the sun rose,--
    A ribbon at a time.
    The steeples swam in amethyst,
    The news like squirrels ran.
    The hills untied their bonnets,
    The bobolinks begun.
    Then I said softly to myself,
    "That must have been the sun!"

    But how he set, I know not.
    There seemed a purple stile
    Which little yellow boys and girls
    Were climbing all the while
    Till when they reached the other side,
    A dominie in gray
    Put gently up the evening bars,
    And led the flock away.

    Then simply ask yourself how the images used in the two parts (the sunrise and the sunset) make you feel yourself. What connotations do they have for you?

    For instance, the rising of the sun proceeds from quiet, gradual images to quick, lively ones: [one] ribbon at a time, [church] steeples swimming in amethyst, squirrels running, hills [like ladies] untying their bonnets [to free their glistening locks of hair--then what?], bobolinks beginning [to sing maybe, or what?]. Then the speaker realizing and saying softly to herself, as if in surprise, Why, look it's suddenly daylight! To me all this suggests pleasant things like, maybe, awakening, spring, growing from childhood to young adulthood, and the beginning of so many pleasant things, like falling in love. It happens gradually, then all of a sudden you notice it's happened.

    What about the sunset? a purple stile [steps to climb, over a fence or a wall, shadow of deep purple], little children dressed in bright yellow climbing to the other side, a dominie [clergyman] gently putting up the bars [drawing the shutters or curtains] [like a shepherd] leading the flock away. To me all this suggests pleasant things, but quiet, thoughtful things, like sleep, autumn fading into winter, ageing, calming down, rest and peace [OK, death, if you insist, not a traumatic, grievous death, but a slow peaceful "fading away"]. Notice that the speaker isn't conscious of this process, "I know not," maybe because it hasn't happened yet or when one is asleep, at rest, beyond life, consciousness is not the same.

    The important question is not What does This Poem Mean? but rather, what does this little poem mean to you personally, and why?

    Enjoy!
  • Question:-Female bobolinks tend to choose males who sing a familiar song. This is an example of:?
    random mating.

    higher reproductive fitness.

    sexual selection.

    genetic drift.

    gene flow.

    Answer:-This sounds like sexual selection to me. It's not random mating because the females are specifically picking our the males that sing the song. Sexual selection makes the most sense.
  • Question:-what threats are the bobolinks and their habitat facing?
    what are threating the bobolinks habitat is the grassland

    Answer:-The bobolinks face no threat. You are confusing them with the hobolinks- now they face a threat. People drive by and throw trash at them, calling the poor creatures dirty caniving little turds all the while. This is cruel considering the circumstances of the poor things.
  • Question:-Why do we need religion to appreciate God?
    I just read this poem by Emily Dickinson and it had a profound effect on me. It caused me to question why we really need religion to appreciate God. Enjoy.

    "Some keep the Sabbath by going to Church-
    I keep it, staying at home-
    With a Bobolink for a Chorister-
    And an Orchard, for a Dome-

    Some keep the Sabbath in Surplice-
    I just wear my wings-
    And instead of tolling the Bell, for Church,
    Our little Sexton-sings.

    God preaches, a noted Clergyman-
    And the sermon is never long.
    So instead of getting to Heaven, at last-
    I'm going, all along."

    I know, it's deep. It took me a while to pick up on certain things.
    P.S. I don't think this poem attempts to answer our pressing questions about God by any means. I think she is just saying that she appreciates everything around her and by doing so she appreciates God, because he created it.

    Answer:-there is no god
  • Question:-Why do people worship inside a church, instead of worshipping outside?
    Some keep the Sabbath going to church;
    I keep it staying at home,
    With a bobolink for a chorister,
    And an orchard for a dome.

    Some keep the Sabbath in surplice;
    I just wear my wings,
    And instead of tolling the bell for church,
    Our little sexton sings.

    God preaches,—a noted clergyman,—
    And the sermon is never long;
    So instead of getting to heaven at last,
    I ’m going all along!

    --Emily Dickinson

    Answer:-What a beautiful little poem. I'd never read it before.

    But to halfway answer your question... in most of the NeoPagan religions, worshipping outside is preferable to worshipping inside, because when we worship outside we are immersed in the Divine-in-nature.

    One of the most powerful services I ever attended was out in the woods, beside one of the largest lakes in North America, during a full-out thunderstorm. Standing there in the grove with the sweet earth beneath my feet and my face upturned to the pouring rain, I felt utterly embraced and enfolded by the presence of the God and the Goddess.

    (And I've certainly heard of some Christian sects that worship "down by the river"... :-) )
  • Question:-Emily Dickinson's Poem?
    in one of her poems, she wrote:
    With a Bobolink for a Chorister
    And an Orchard for a Dome

    what does this mean?

    Answer:-A bobolink is referring to birds singing in a "choir" and the orchard for a dome is talking about her time of worship is spent among the flowers and birds, loving nature that God has given instead of in church.
  • Question:-how do u feel about this poem Heart, not so heavy as mine and explain why u feel this way?
    Heart, not so heavy as mine
    Wending late home --
    As it passed my window
    Whistled itself a tune --
    A careless snatch -- a ballad -- A ditty of the street --
    Yet to my irritated Ear
    An Anodyne so sweet --
    It was as if a Bobolink
    Sauntering this way
    Carolled, and paused, and carolled --
    Then bubbled slow away!
    It was as if a chirping brook
    Upon a dusty way --
    Set bleeding feet to minuets
    Without the knowing why!
    Tomorrow, night will come again --
    Perhaps, weary and sore --
    Ah Bugle! By my window
    I pray you pass once more.

    Answer:-Bugle?? whistler is doing things not that loud, right??
    irritated ear is an off note. -- I nickpick

    Total feel: nice for the narrator, who is hoping for love. Or maybe at least cheer.
  • Question:-Emily Dickinson poem help?
    Some keep the Sabbath going to Church --
    I keep it, staying at Home --
    With a Bobolink for a Chorister --
    And an Orchard, for a Dome --

    Some keep the Sabbath in Surplice --
    I just wear my Wings --
    And instead of tolling the Bell, for Church,
    Our little Sexton -- sings.

    God preaches, a noted Clergyman --
    And the sermon is never long,
    So instead of getting to Heaven, at last --
    I'm going, all along.

    What kind of people might share the speaker's preference? Who would disagree with her way of keeping the Sabbath?

    Answer:-This is a straightforward (well, as straightforward as Dickinson gets) anti-organized religion poem.

    Notice that all the references to how the speaker keeps the sabbath refer to nature. All the references to how "some" do it refer to the formal rituals of the church.

    Dickinson was a highly independent thinker, and it is people like her who would agree that one can feel the presence of God when out in his creation. Those who would disagree are people who feel that church is the only proper place for prayer or religious thought--conventional thinkers, in other words.

    Best wishes!
  • Question:-What is the TONE of this poem by Emily Dickinson?
    SOME keep the Sabbath going to church;
    I keep it staying at home,
    With a bobolink for a chorister,
    And an orchard for a dome.

    Some keep the Sabbath in surplice;
    I just wear my wings,
    And instead of tolling the bell for church,
    Our little sexton sings.

    God preaches,—a noted clergyman,—
    And the sermon is never long;
    So instead of getting to heaven at last,
    I ’m going all along!

    I know what it means but the tone is the only thing I can't figure out. I know what tone means, I just can't think of what it could be.

    Answer:-She is describing nature as the church and is saying that you can be alone and still talk to God without the need to attend church. The tone is happy.

    Dickinson's Poetry - Emily Dickinson
    Features: Chapter-By-Chapter Summary and Commentary, Plot Summary, Character Descriptions, Study Quiz, Message Board

    http://www.poets.org/poet.php/prmPID/155

    http://www.sparknotes.com/poetry/dickinson/

    http://academic.brooklyn.cuny.edu/english/melani/cs6/dickinson.html

No comments:

Post a Comment