Saturday, October 15, 2011

sonic youth

  • Question:-sonic youth?
    does anyone think that sonic youth should break up?

    Answer:-NO!!! Have you not heard the new CD? It rocks.
  • Question:-SONIC YOUTH !!!!??? ??? ??? ?
    what are your favorite "sonic youth" songs ????? =)

    Answer:-100%
    Silver Rocket
    Sugar Kane
    Drunken Butterfly
    Bull in the Heather
    Teenage Riot
  • Question:-Is Sister by Sonic Youth a good album for someone who isn't crazy about how great Sonic Youth is?
    Don't listen to Sonic Youth much, and I've decided to start. I'm low on cash, and Daydream Nation is out of my price range. I've heard Sister is incredible and magical and amazing and *fireworks*, but only from diehards for Sonic Youth. Is this a case of crazy fans loving everything from their favorite band, or is this album actually of considerable musical quality?

    Answer:-Sonic Youth has actually said they don't care about their music being pirated because they're not about the money at all. So feel free and download any of their albums for free. Here's how I would rank their albums (at least the ones I have):

    1. Goo
    2. Sister
    3. Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star
    4. Daydream Nation
    5. Dirty
    6. EVOL
    7. Bad Moon Rising
    8. The Eternal
    9. Rather Ripped
    10. Washing Machine
    11. Confusion Is Sex / Kill Yr. Idols
    12. Sonic Youth
    13. A Thousand Leaves
    14. The Destroyed Room
  • Question:-What albums best represent each stage of Sonic Youth's evolution as experimental musicians?
    I'm just getting into Sonic Youth, and already I can admire their avant-garde approach to modern music. I would imagine they've been through quite a few stages in their sound, and I figured I'd leave it up to the best to tell me which albums to listen to. I'm on a limited budget, and I can't pirate any albums, so if you want to get as specific as songs, feel free.

    Answer:-Seen em live a few times. awesome shows, at least from what I can remember.
  • Question:-Why do Sonic Youth fans claim you know nothing about music if you think they suck?
    honestly, I think they're terrible, but how in any way does that mean i dont know anything about music?

    I notice that this is the first thing a Sonic Youth fan says when you disagree with them.

    Really what is so super advanced about Sonic Youth? They have few ok songs, but the rest is just boring to death to me.

    And if they're so great why do most people not know who they are at all?

    Answer:-Well, I love the Sonic Youth! Um, but I can understand where you are coming from. I can listen to Bob Dylan for about ten minutes and then I am done. However, many tout that he is one of the greatest musicians alive. Which, he was a good songwriter, but I still cannot listen to him.

    Just because I don't like Bob Dylan doesn't mean that he was not influencial. That is why so many people put Sonic Youth on a pedestal. Sonic Youth influenced almost all of the 90's alternative music by being a primary influence on the grunge scene. Today their indie approach has influenced many bands today.

    I guess Sonic Youth is to you what Bob Dylan is to me. Just because you don't like Sonic Youth does not mean that you don't like music...that is a very isolationistic arrogant approach to discussing music. Which is the same reason why most people reject mainstream music. When one acts that way they are becoming exactly what they hate about pop culture.

    What was so super advanced about Sonic Youth is that they were doing alternative grunge experimental punk rock befor a lot of other people. One of the main influences of Nirvana was Sonic Youth.
  • Question:-What can I expect at Sonic Youth concert?
    I will be going to see Sonic Youth at the Wiltern and I am just wondering what their concerts are like and if you have any idea of how early I should get there?

    Answer:-happiness, amazingness, and an invitation to come as close to the stage as you can get during the encore. take advantage of it.
    also, mostly great new songs from the eternal, but a couple of the good old songs thrown in. a great show, really.

    it doesn't really matter when you get there, if you have a ticket. half hour before to avoid last minute crowd. also, the opening act is really good too if it's still "the entrance band".
  • Question:-What are some really good songs by sonic youth?
    some crazy ones, with a lot of distortion.
    star if you think sonic youth rocks!

    Answer:-Teenage Riot
    Superstar
    Cross the Breeze
    Kool Thing
    100%
    Theresa's Sound World
    Sugar Kane
    Diamond Sea
    Sunday
    Unmade Bed
    Incinerate
    Leaky Lifeboat
    Little Trouble Girl
  • Question:-Sonic youth...?
    I love Superstar what's another great song by them?

    Answer:-kool thing, 100% (my personally favorite), youth against fascism, sugar kane, teenage riot
  • Question:-Sonic Youth?
    Couple of questions
    What album should i buy first?
    Whats some fun songs of theres to play on guitar?

    Answer:-Its difficult to say, because their style has changed drastically since their inception. Overall, their best or most important albums are probably Bad Moon Rising and EVOL. Evol I would say. I also like some of their newer albums, as its a little more accessible and poppy, but still Sonic Youth. Rather Ripped was decent.

    In terms of songs of theirs to play, most of their earlystuff, like pre-Bad Moon Rising, is nearly impossible to play. At the time, the band used multiple guitars, each with a unique tuning that often involved taping a screwdriver or pencil or something under a particular part of the guitar. The band destroyed all these guitars when they became sick of playing the same songs, and they themselves are unable to replicate many of the original releases.
  • Question:-What do you think of the new Sonic Youth album?
    I am a long-time fan of Sonic Youth. They have their good albums, like "Dirty" and "Daydream Nation," and their bad albums like "NYC Ghosts and Flowers" and "A Thousand Leaves." Where does this new album fall in? Is it good, but unremarkable like "Rather Ripped" and "Sonic Nurse," or the return to greatness we have all been waiting for?

    Answer:-...It hasn't been released yet, but I know there was some deal that made it possible to get a digital download in April, which I failed to follow up on. If you've heard it, I'd like to hear what you have to say, because I haven't, other than "Sacred Trickster", which is a good track and a very Sonic Youth track.

No comments:

Post a Comment