Saturday, October 15, 2011

thurston moore

  • Question:-Thurston Moore (sonic youth) as a guitarist? Talented? What do you think he mostly uses?
    I'm curious what guitar players might think of Thurston Moore as a guitarist.. I'm asking because I'm learning guitar and like his style but I'm not sure he's the most 'talented' guitarist.

    Does he mostly use barre and power chords with some simple melodys?

    What do you think?

    Answer:-yes, Thurston is very talented im my opinion, especially if you listen to the Dirty album

    he moslty uses power chords
  • Question:-Thurston Moore and Lee Ranaldo vs Jonny Greenwood and Ed O'Brien, which is you favorite?
    I personally like Jonny and Ed, but Thurston and Lee are pretty awesome too.

    Answer:-Without question, Thurston and Lee.
  • Question:-Lyrics to Thurston Moore song?
    Does anyone know where I can find the lyrics to the song "Fri/End" by Thurston Moore?

    I've tried searching but I haven't come up with anything.

    Help, please? :)

    Thank you in advance!

    Answer:-i think it's .........
    You step on the purple vale
    Emit shards of a screaming halo.
    You strap on your rainbow sail.
    Rainbow resin, a sticky cyclone
    Oh, how i love the smell of your charred remains
    Nothing better
    Than to meet your sweetheart in severed chains
    It's love forever.

    Chorus

    Yeah, I'll always be your friend.
    Oh yeah, at least just till the end.


    Our burner switches hit
    Instant meltdown, free-fry the ghost town.
    Fresh battery head trip.
    Love it to death, how, go child strum sound.
    Never leave you alone, harsh and heavy drone.
    To cook a sizzle soft beat.
    Pre-historic love, electric catacomb.
    I see your look goes to me.

    Chorus

    Yeah, I'll always be your friend.
    Oh yeah, at least just till the end.

    Bridge

    Pardon me, purple vale.
    The ticket of the girl who loves you.
    She rides the high rail
    Devotional dogma crackles above you
    And all the startled tones chilling tonight
    Sweet circular motions
    Amplify a moon dot(?) in her sight

    i hope that could help

  • Question:-Thurston Moore Tabs?
    Where can I get the tabs for Pretty Bad by Thurston Moore?

    Answer:-try this.
    http://www.tabcrawler.com/
  • Question:-Someone introduce me to Thurston Moore/Sonic Youth properly?
    I somehow stumbled upon this little gem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wllPXb4lkI&feature=player_embedded
    It's called Benediction, and it's by a guy named Thurston Moore, who I found out, after a little sleuthing, is actually from Sonic Youth. Not that I'd know before, since I'm fairly unfamiliar with that band. Anyhow, I've absolutely fallen in love with this song, and definetly need more Thurston Moore, and maybe even some Sonic Youth, who I've heard of before but never got into before because I just never knew where to begin. Someone give me a good starting place for both?

    BQ: When you were a kid, did you have those socks that had individual nubs for each toe? WEREN'T THEY THE COOLEST SOCKS EVER?
    BQ2: What's the coolest dish you know how to cook?
    BQ3: Are you going to any concerts soon?

    Answer:-Ok well you deserve a fair warning: Sonic Youth can be VERY experimental at times. I mean really though. They're known for using screwdrivers as instruments sometimes. So for that reason, I wouldn't go -too- far into their deep stuff just yet, or you might get completely turned off to them.
    Some of their more listener-friendly tunes include:
    Incinerate - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP3ovD8ZSS4
    Jams Run Free - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxmfXLM8wps
    Bull In The Heather - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T4BsnXmJaI
    Candle - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlrWnZbp2wM

    Now! If you're like me, and you are planning on purposely digging up some of their over-the-top-eccentric songs just because you were told not to, start with their album "Sister" or "Dirty" and move forward. ;)

    PS- If after all of this listening, you decide that you prefer Moore's solo to Sonic Youth as a whole, he did do a lot of solo composing and work. Check out the soundtrack to the movie "Manic"- absolutely beautiful.

    BQ1: Yeah I had them but I hated them. They made me itchy.
    BQ2: Blonde brownies.
    BQ3: I was supposed to go to a Rush concert with my fiancee but I found out I was pregnant instead.
  • Question:-Has anyone heard any of Thurston Moore's (Sonic Youth) solo material?
    The album Trees Outside the Academy, for example.

    How is it? On par with Sonic Youth's best?

    Answer:-Yeah I have Trees Outside The Academy. It's pretty good. Most of the album is more straightforward sound than most of SY's stuff. An example would be the song Honest James which could nearly be considered to be almost folk-ish.

    My favourite songs from it would be Frozen Gtr and The Shape Is In A Trance. If you're a big SY fan then I would definitely recommend it as I very much enjoy it.

    The Shape Is In A Trance
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avTVC0PUuoA
    Frozen Gtr
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvTj5ktubTc
  • Question:-Anyone buy Thurston Moore's recent solo release - Trees Outside the Academy?
    I'm thinking seriously of getting this before White Chalk (PJ Harvey) but wanted to get some comments on it before I decide.

    Answer:-I just heard the new song from P.J., When Under Ether. As strong as the love is for all things pertaining to Sonic Youth, I would go get White Chalk. That was one hauntingly cool song.

    Good thing I was around to answer this, slow day in the Y!A.
  • Question:-whose vocals are cooler: thurston moore or lou reed?


    Answer:-Very tough choice.

    But Lou Reed I guess.
  • Question:-Thurston moore and lee ranaldo (sonic youth)?
    What do you think of these two as guitarists?

    Answer:-They are pretty great , especially Thurston - I'm just getting into his solo albums
  • Question:-Better guitarist: Jerry Cantrell or Thurston Moore?
    In your opinion

    Answer:-Jerry Cantrell. His solo stuff rules, along with his stuff from AiC.

    He's been a large influence on my guitar playing with his bends, vibratos, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment